Tuition Waiver for Youth in Extended Care
Cost shouldn't be a barrier to your success. We recognize spending time in the care of the Nova Scotia child welfare system during any part of your childhood can have an impact on your access to education. One of the biggest challenges could be finances. If there are barriers or obstacles preventing you from reaching your potential, we want to help.
Here is what we are offering two students each year:
StFX Post-Care Tuition Waiver Program
The StFX Post-Care Tuition Waiver program supports individuals who have lived in care for a minimum of one year (cumulative or accumulated) in the Nova Scotia child welfare system – including Mi’kmaw Family and Children’s Services of Nova Scotia – or have been in receipt of the Department of Community Services' Youth Services Program. This waiver covers up to 100% of tuition and mandatory course fees for those selected and is renewable for the duration of the student's first post-secondary undergraduate program, provided they maintain good academic standing.
Details of the Waiver
- Full tuition and mandatory fees, including Student Union fees and the Health and Dental plan, for up to four years of full-time studies at StFX .
- The Bloomfield Renovation Fee and Health and Wellness Expansion Fee are not covered by this award.
- Residence and on campus Meal Plan for one year. (Please note that there will be no living allowance provided in lieu of the residence room fee waiver and meal plan if the student chooses to live off campus)
Who can apply?
StFX recognizes that, as a child in care, you may have faced challenges that have affected your education.
You are eligible to apply if:
- You have lived in care for at least one year (cumulative or accumulated) in the Nova Scotia child welfare system, Mi’kmaw Family and Children’s Services of Nova Scotia, or The Department of Community Services, or have received Youth Services between the ages of 16-18 via signed agreement, as defined by Section 19 of the 2017 Children and Family Services Act.
- You have been accepted to an undergraduate degree or diploma program as a part-time or full-time student for the upcoming academic year.
- You have financial need.
- You are pursuing your first undergraduate credential (diploma or degree).
- You are not eligible for, nor currently receiving the Nova Scotia Department of Community Services Educational Bursary Program for Children in Care or Post-Care and Custody Agreement.
- You will provide a signed verification of eligibility form completed by the Nova Scotia Department of Community Services Disclosure Program.
- You are willing to meet with a Financial Aid Officer to explore other sources of funding.
- You are willing to meet with a representative from Student Life for an orientation to StFX.
- You are willing to meet with an academic advisor to review your educational goals and preparedness.
How do I apply?
Be sure to self-identify as a youth in or from care on your application. StFX will provide you with important information on youth in care programs, financial awards, and student services specific to your situation.
The StFX Tuition Waiver program requires verification of past child welfare involvement to ensure eligibility. Applicants must first seek verification by contacting the Disclosure Program:
Department of Community Services
Toll-free (within Canada): 1-833-424-2755
2131 Gottingen Street, 3rd Floor
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 5Z7
Complete the online StFX Post-Care Waiver Program application.
Students will be able to apply beginning November 1, 2022, with a deadline of June 1, 2023 for admission to the 2023- 24 academic year.
The number of waivers available may vary from year to year, depending on funds available.
The waiver is renewable in subsequent years of recipients' diploma or degree study based on good academic standing.
Applications are reviewed by a selection committee. When reviewing applications, the committee will consider the following:
- Your financial need;
- Your educational goals, career aspirations and how this waiver can help you attain them.
Contact St. Francis Xavier’s University Financial Aid Office by emailing email@example.com.