International Student Advising
Support for international students
St. Francis Xavier University is a diverse and international campus within a safe and small community environment. Students from 46 countries come to Antigonish, Nova Scotia to study here.
We appreciate the global perspective and rich experiences that international students bring to our campus community, and we are here to provide confidential support, guidance, and advocacy to contribute to your positive experience at StFX.
The Office of International Student Advising can help you:
- Navigate campus upon arrival and access resources.
- Transition to studying and living in Antigonish, Nova Scotia.
- Maintain your Canadian government immigration documents (Study Permit, Temporary Residence Visa).
- Access information on working in Canada, including co-op work permits, social insurance numbers, and income tax, etc.
- Understand the rights and responsibilities students have as members of our community.
- Understand StFX’s expectations and requirements of students.
- Develop positive mental health practices to elevate and maintain your overall wellness.
- Find cultural and social programming.
- Explore post-graduation options.
Call out box: International Student Orientation occurs twice a year (September and January)
Contact the Admissions Office
Contact the International Student Advising Office
If you would like to call us from outside Nova Scotia, remember to dial 1 and the area code first: 1.902.867.2219. If you are calling from outside Canada, you will need to begin with the phone prefix for this country: 0101.902.867.2219
Book a meeting with Lubna Rahman, International Student Advisor
Lubna Rahman, International Student Advisor, is a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) and can connect you to the information and resources you need to live, work, study and thrive in Canada.
Click here to book an in-person or online appointment today to speak with Lubna one-to-one. No need to wait in lines – you can make an appointment that conveniently suits your schedule.
If you chose to have the meeting in-person, please come to the Office of International Student Advising in Bloomfield Centre, Rm. 432. If you chose to have the meeting remotely, you will receive a Teams link via a confirmation email after confirming your booking.
Get to know more about Canada
As a StFx student, you have access to on-campus resources that are dedicated to your success and wellbeing:
- Learn more about the International Health Insurance Plan (For specific questions about your coverage, please contact Barb Markovic at @email)
- On-campus Health and Counselling Services where you can find Medical Services and Mental Health Services.
- If you need support with your academics, want more information about citations style guides, tutoring services, and general academic support, visit the StFX Academic Success Centre.
- If you are looking to make changes to your program of study or change courses, speak to an Academic Advisor who can support you.
- If you are looking for a job on or off campus, the Student Career Centre can help with creating a resume, tailoring your resume to specific jobs, job search strategies, interview prep, and networking tips.
- You can access Gender and Sexual Diversity Advising to support you throughout your time here.
- If you are Black identifying, there is a community here to support you. Please see Black Student Advising to find out more.
- You have access to the StFX Recreation Centre where you can engage in sports for leisure, join a team, swim, work out and much more.
- If you have a diagnosed disability, please visit the Tramble Centre for Accessible Learning to find out about supports and accommodations.
- The Student Union is made up of student representatives who provide services, advocacy and events for students at STFX. Take a look at the services offered, learn more about the Student Union Health and Dental Plan, and see their upcoming events page!