What to Bring and What Not to Bring
We hope that you enjoy personalizing your room and making it feel like a home away from home. Space in the residence rooms is limited, and half of students will be sharing that space with a roommate - so pack wisely. Bring the essentials and leave the "extras" at home. Here are a few items to remember to bring and a few items to leave at home…
You may want to bring these suggested items:
- Health Card
- Desk Lamp (some rooms come equipped with desk lamps - feel free to check with us beforehand)
- Sheets/blanket/pillow(s) and mattress topper - make your bed comfy!
- Towels/House Coat
- Flip Flops/Slippers
- Basket or bag to carry toiletries to and from washrooms
- Laundry Bag/Soap
- Clothes Hangers
- Iron/Small Ironing Board
- CSA-approved Power Bar/CSA Extension Cord (outlets are limited)
- First Aid Kit
- Cable cord & TV (again, some rooms are equipped with TVs - Governors, O'Regan & Riley)
- Umbrella or raincoat (a boot tray is also a good idea to have, for wet/salty shoes/boots. Students are not allowed to keep shoes/boots in the hallways)
- Pictures/Posters & Rubber Cement to hang them (can be purchased at the University Bookstore)
- Sports equipment
- For Suite & Apartment Styles: pots, pans, kitchen utensils etc.
- Basic cleaning supplies - disinfecting, small broom, swiffer mops/pads (you are responsible for keeping your own rooms clean, this includes any private washrooms)
DON'T bring the following:
- Large stereo speakers and sub-woofers
- A telephone
- LED Strip lights
- Any kitchen appliance with an open element, such as deep fryers, hot plates, toasters, etc.
- Anything illegal to the Province of Nova Scotia (if it's illegal, leave it at home - even if it isn't illegal where you come from)
- Pets (with the exception of fish, non-dangerous fish are permitted in aquariums no larger than 15 L)
- Nails/Tacks/Duct tape (if it can't be hung up with rubber cement, leave it at home)
- Firearms/Ammunition/Firecrackers/ weapons of any type.
- Candles or incense. Candles and incense are not allowed to be lit in residence.
- An alarm clock (there's an app for that)
- Additional furniture (there's little room for more furniture). All rooms come equipped with a desk chair
- No string, mini-lights or tracked lighting
- Sticky backed mirrors (this damages the wall paint and will cost $ to fix)